Sunday, April 18, 2010

Komen Race for the Cure 5K

My mom is a breast cancer survivor and one tough lady. Sincer her year long bout with cancer, I have always wanted to gather up my family and do one of these Race for the Cure events, so thats just what we did.The starts for the 5K run and 5K walk were staggered, so I had enough time to run the 5K and come back around to walk the 5K with my family.

I don't need to make a story about running this 5K. The real story is my Mom, who endured months of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Now, three years later she is a breast cancer survivor. She continues to struggle through some of the lasting effects of cancer treatment including osteoporosis, but she never complains about it. This race was a celebration of our mom. It in some ways I feel so selfish when I talk about "enduring" a marathon or ultramarathon, when people with cancer have to endure so much more.

What amazed me the most about this race was the shear amount of people present-over 40,000. Many of them were breast cancer survivors. Many were family members walking in celebration of family members who had survived the disease. Many others walked in memory of their loved ones which were lost to the disease.
The money thats raised from this race goes to support groups and breast cancer screenings for people at high risk who can't afford it as well as continued breast cancer research. Reason enough to do the race again.

No comments:

Post a Comment