Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What is an ultra? Why trails? Why ultras?

So I think this post is long overdue, and I will refer people to my blog when they as these questions of me....which happens frequently. Some of my answers will be simple, some longer. Hopefully they just make sense.....

An ultramarathon is any footrace that is longer than the distance of a typical marathon. So anything longer than 26.2 miles. Usually ultras take place on trails as opposed to the roads. Usually there are large hills, stream crossings, high grass, biting flies, etc. Ultras do not get cancelled for lightening, heat, snow, ice, subzero windchills, etc. The pace is much slower than a marathon, and we all typically walk the uphills to preserve our energy for the next 30, 50, 95 miles of running we will be doing. We eat while we run, we develop horrendous blisters and often lose our toenails. Electrolyte imbalances and dehydration are common during ultras. Sometimes too much damage to our muscle proteins can result in acute renal failure. The most devastating thing that may occur is a DNF-did not finish, usually a result of being pulled from the race because you are too injured/dehydrated/incapacited to continue.

So why in the hell would anyone put themselves through this? Well, I don't do it for money, fame or fortune. In fact, usually I get disdain from coworkers, friends, and even fellow non-ultra runners at the thought of my doing something so stupid. My typical short, easy answer as to why is usually along the lines of "Oh I don't know-I guess I have a screw loose." My real answer is a bit more complex. I find something horribly stifling about living my life in such a way that most people don't seem to mind. Most people roll out of bed at 8am to go to a job they can't stand from 9-5pm, watch IQ destroying TV at night and go to bed. Wash, rinse, repeat. Day after day after day. Boring. This life alone could not ever be even remotely satisfying to me, and I need more. So I have turned to running as a way to satisfy this primal need I have for challenge, adventure, and dare I say fun. How many people can say that they physically pushed themselved to the brink of destruction and perservered yet another 50 miles using nothing but their willpower? Huh? Not that many. In addition to being boring, life can also be horribly complex, dissapointing, and difficult. There is something so beautiful and profound about the simplicity of running long distances in the woods. I can't explain it, but I wish everyone could experience the same peace that I do when I am trail running. Ultras have given me endurance and passion, not just for running, but for life.

Finally, why trails? I used to be a fairly good at road running, so why did I all but completely swear it off? My mature answer is because road running sucks. Just kidding:) I just like the trails better. They are easy on your joints, calming to the mind and appeasing to the spirit. If I run a road marathon I can't walk for a week. If I run a trail 50K, I can run again in 2 days. Trails are soft and forgiving. Asphalt is harsh and body-destroying.....just my opinion. I like trail/ultra runners better than road runners, too. Road runners do too much speedwork, pay way too much attention to everything they put in their mouth, are obsessed with pace, and only their finishing time determines their success-not enjoyable to me. Ultrarunners rehydrate with beer, enjoy long runs mixed with fast hiking, and I have never seen an ultrarunner elbow anyone at the finishing chute....Everyone is a winner at ultras. Trust me, if you have run 50/100/whatever miles, then you have won an enormous battle against yourself.

My favorite ultrarunning story is about Scott Jurek-only the best male ultrarunner that ever walked the earth. He wins everything-Western States, Badwater, you name it. After he beats the rest of the field by hours and hours, he also sits around and waits for the last person to finish so he can cheer them on. That means Scott Jurek wins Western States in about 16 hours, and sits around for another 14 hours to cheer on the rest of the finishers. That is the epitome of ultrarunning. And those are my very long answers to some very short questions that I frequently get asked:)

No comments:

Post a Comment